Bringing Down the Duke Review: Jane Austen Let Loose in the Sheets (and I Am Not Complaining)

    I thought I would take a quick vacation from the Gothic books that I’ve been reading to give us both a break. Though, my heart will always live in the macabre, I do travel to other lands to explore what’s out there. And that’s how we’ve landed on Bringing Down the Duke. I was still in the Victorian state of mind, but instead people fighting for their lives, I thought I would read about women fighting for their way of life.

Women’s suffrage but make it Bridgeton.

Quick Snapshot

  • Rating: 3.5 ⭐
  • Heat Level: 2 🌶️ (warm, not five-alarm, but the book knows exactly what it's doing when it turns the temperature up)
  • Genre: Historical Romance
  • Vibe: Jane Austen if she were allowed to write smut.

What This Book Feels Like

    Reading Bringing Down the Duke feels looks proper. It sounds proper. There's Oxford, there's suffrage meetings, there's a lot of very correct Victorian hand-touching. And then somewhere around chapter ten you realize you are gripping your book like it owes you money, because Evie Dunmore has smuggled a genuinely simmering romance into what reads, on the surface, like a very well-behaved historical novel.

    The pacing has that classic slow-burn rhythm, the kind where every hallway encounter and every accidentally-too-long handhold feels like it's doing more emotional damage than an actual kiss would in a lesser book. And then when the tension finally breaks? It breaks. This is not a book that skims past the good parts, is what I'm saying. This is a book that understands the assignment.

    Underneath the giddy, lovesick, will-they-won't-they of it all, there's a current of real female oppression running through the pages. I’ve always had respect for the women that fought for our rights, but there’s something special in here that does not hold it’s punches when talking about what the women went through to get there.

The Story (Spoiler-Free)

    Annabelle Archer is broke, brilliant, and one very reluctant cousin away from being homeless, so when Oxford dangles a scholarship in front of her in exchange for a little light suffragette work on the side, she takes it. Her job: help convince men of influence to support women's suffrage. Her first assignment, entirely by accident: the Duke of Montgomery, a man so icy and controlled he practically has his own weather system.

    Naturally, he's the one man in England she is absolutely, categorically not supposed to fall for. Naturally, that's exactly what happens.

    What follows is a lot of very charged debates about John Stuart Mill (yes, really, and yes, it's somehow hot), a lot of tension that could power a small English village, and a slow unspooling of two people who are both far more guarded, and far more starved for connection, than they'd ever admit out loud.

What Worked

The characters felt real, not decorative. Annabelle is sharp, stubborn, and constantly negotiating between who she wants to be and who the world will let her be, which, frankly, is the whole book in one sentence. Montgomery is the broody-duke archetype done with actual interiority; he's not just cold for the sake of a trope, he's cold because being anything else has always cost him. Their scenes together crackle because they're never just flirting, they're arguing, and that's somehow so much better.

The historical texture didn't flinch. This is where the book earned real respect from me. It would've been easy to use the suffrage movement as pretty period wallpaper behind the romance. Instead, the book actually sits with how perilous it was for women to want any scrap of agency in that era, the social risk, the reputational risk, the sheer exhausting math of trying to be taken seriously in a room built to ignore you. I found myself wanting to grab a sign and march alongside these women, and that's not something I expected to feel while reading a book with this many heaving bosoms.

The setup for future books. I could feel the groundwork being laid for Annabelle's friends' stories, and I'm already mentally rearranging my TBR to make room.

What Didn't Work

    Some stretches, particularly in the middle, leaned a little dry and predictable, you can see certain beats coming from several chapters away, and the book doesn't always swerve when you're hoping it will. It's not a book that's going to shock you with its plot mechanics; the romance genre has a shape, and this one mostly colors inside the lines. It also, unsurprisingly, wraps up in a tidy happily-ever-after, which I wanted, to be clear, but readers looking for messier endings should adjust expectations accordingly.

Favorite Moments

    Without spoiling anything: any scene where Annabelle and Montgomery are technically arguing about politics but are actually just circling each other like two people who know exactly what they want and refuse to say it out loud. Also, the moment their hands linger a beat too long on a stair railing lives in my head rent-free. Historical romance really said "let a banister do the emotional labor" and honestly? Iconic.

Verdict

    Bringing Down the Duke is not going to win any prestigious literary awards, and I don't think it's trying to. What it is trying to do, give me a swoony, slow-burn, genuinely feminist historical romance with a duke who has more bite than your average Regency hero, it does really, really well. It's not flawless. Some of it is a bit predictable, some of it is a bit dry. But it delivered exactly what I came for: giddy, lovesick, "I need to know what happens next" energy, wrapped around a story that actually respects the women it's about.

    This one's staying on my shelf. I can absolutely see myself rereading it, and I'm already eyeing the sequels.

Should You Read Bringing Down the Duke?

    If you love Austen but wish things got a little steamier behind closed doors, if Bridgerton lives rent-free in your head, or if you just want a historical romance with actual teeth in its politics, yes. Read it. This is a very solid entry point if you're historical-romance-curious but don't know where to start.

Affiliates below because Annabelle might have found a rich Duke, but I’m still waiting for mine.

If you're curious, you can grab a copy here: Bringing Down the Duke

Prefer to listen while you pretend to fold laundry? The audiobook is also a great option!

And if this one hits the spot, I'd recommend picking up the rest of Evie Dunmore's A League of Extraordinary Women series next, since this book is clearly setting up the next heroines for their own turns in the spotlight.

    Until next time, book nerds, go forth and find your own icy duke to argue philosophy with on a moonlit terrace. 

-Poindexter Anonymous 🖤


Did I miss anything? Did you jump right into the second book too? Drop you thoughts in the comments, but be respectful of others, if you're going to talk about specifics, disclaim your spoilers. And if you want more posts like this landing in your inbox (plus the occasional unhinged recommendation), subscribe to the newsletter below.

Comments